Mathematics is present in practically any facet of life, many times as students we come across them, although for many they are complicated. Microsoft presents us with a great tool, with which you can do complex operations , today you will learn how to use the root function in excel – Square root | cube root | fourth | fifth.
It might seem that taking square roots and the like is a complicated process with Microsoft’s tool, but this is not the case. It’s actually pretty easy, something we’ll teach you in this tutorial.
Even so, before starting we recommend that you learn how to use all Excel formulas in a spreadsheet, to better prepare yourself when using this tool.
- 1 How to use the root function in Excel – Square root | cube root | fourth | fifth
- 2 Root function utility in Excel
How to use the root function in Excel – Square root | cube root | fourth | fifth
Rooting in Excel is not complicated, we actually have two methods to do this procedure. The first of them is valid only for square roots , while the second is useful for practically any operation of this type.
Using the root function in Excel
The first method is the simplest of all, since we will use a function that is specifically designed to solve square roots . The only drawback of this function is that it only solves this type of operation, so the cube root, the fourth, the fifth, etc., are not considered.
- The first step is to locate yourself in the cell where you want the result to appear. Enter the equal symbol “=” and type « root «, locate the root function and double click on it.
- Inside the parenthesis, the number whose root you want to show should appear, then select the cell where that number is located.
- After doing this, the square root of the selected figure will be displayed.
This is the simplest method to know the square root of a number within Excel, yet it only works for square roots, so it is not the most useful function present in the application.
In any case, understanding that the sine, cosine and tangent function in Excel, other mathematical operations and the square roots are the most common academic assignments / work uses for the application, this first method is perfectly functional, in the case of wanting to go further there, read the following information.
Second method, valid for square, cubic, fourth and fifth roots
The second method is based on manually writing a formula suitable for any type of root, be it square, cubic, fourth or fifth. Using the manual method, knowing the best keyboard shortcuts to use in Excel will help you work faster.
This second method is not as simple as the previous one, yet it is not complicated either, follow these instructions:
- The first thing you should know is how to get the caret (^) since you will use this symbol within the formula you will use. Write them very easily, just press the Alt + 94 key.
- Now position yourself on the cell in which you want the result to appear, for practical purposes suppose you want to know the square root of the number 8 . In this case, go to the cell where you want the result and write the following = 8 ^ (1/2).
- The previous equation was used to obtain the square root of 8, but it is also possible to use it to obtain cubic, fourth and fifth roots. For this, you just have to modify the formula: Cubic root = 8 ^ (1/3), Fourth = 8 ^ (1/4), Fifth = 8 ^ (1/5).
Root function utility in Excel
Using the root function within Excel and formulas like the one we taught you above is very useful for different circumstances.
To perform complex operations
If you are an engineering student or a career related to mathematical logic , using a tool like Excel will facilitate operations such as calculating roots. This becomes even more important when you need to get results very quickly.
Also for complex operations, it is advisable to use Solver, which is useful for solving mathematical equations and operations, which in conjunction with solving roots allows solving problems
A powerful calculator on your PC through Office
Excel is an exceptional tool, it is a very good place to work, but it can also be classified as a kind of very powerful calculator . Knowing its functions and the formulas that you can use, you have access to an unprecedented calculation tool.