Word is one of the most widely used Office Word tools in the world. However, despite its years in the market, many users feel confused when using it, since not only can you write texts or add, subtract, multiply or divide in this program, but there are also many functions that are not as used as others.
An excellent design tool within Word is adding lines. These can help us in aspects of design and visibility of some texts in addition to images. If you find this interesting, we will teach you to insert these lines so that you can integrate them into your new project on a future occasion.
If we are working within a Word page, it is quite likely that we need to highlight somehow a text with its own style, a title or also give some kind of separation to some sentences.
It is precisely for these situations that the lines within a Word page are used, since they are easy to enter the page and also edit. Thanks to the versatility of this program , we can place these lines in multiple positions and colors.
Inserting the line into a Word document
If you want to insert these lines into your text, you just have to follow the following steps:
- Start by placing your PC’s cursor, over the location, where you want the lines to be.
- Once you are positioned in the space where you need the line to be inserted , start typing the characters you need and after that, press the Enter key or also the Return key. Your line will be created automatically right in the place you have chosen.
If what you are looking for is a series of different lines, here we will leave you a list with the easy-to-obtain characters that may interest you a lot.
- Single line: three dashes (-)
- Simple double line: three equal signs (===)
- Broken / dotted line: three asterisks (***)
- A single bold line: three underscores (___)
- Wavy line: three tildes (~~~)
- Triple line with thick center: three number signs (###)
Insert a line using the horizontal line tool
Possibly doing this step will be much less complicated and safe, so here we will show you how to insert a line using the main tool:
- As in the beginning, start by placing the cursor right where you want the line to be inserted.
- Once this action is ready, you must go to the Word start button, which is located in the upper left corner of your Word sheet.
- Once there, you just have to press the Borders button, this button can be found in the section that says “ Paragraph ”. You just have to press the down arrow and a drop-down menu will appear on your screen, which is accompanied by said button.
- Within this menu, you must locate the option “Horizontal line”. You can see that automatically, a line will appear horizontally in your document. This is the basic form, however, if you want to edit it , you can do so by double clicking on it.
- When you double-click it, you will see a dialog box, which opens and presents you with a series of options, which you can adapt depending on what you want to do. In this window you can modify the height, width and color of the line that you have placed on the Word page. Likewise, in this options panel you can make multiple changes within the line you have placed.
With these simple instructions, you can insert a line anywhere in your Word document, as well as being able to edit it so that the new line matches the text that has been placed there. Always remember to comply with the APA standard in Word so that your project within this program is a success.