Concept maps are graphs with key concepts that are interrelated, and they are also a very useful tool for the learning of all students. This article will show you how to make or create a concept map in Word. It is a very easy and quick task to do, and you can even do it from your phone if you download Microsoft Office for Android.
Steps to make or create a concept map:
- Open a blank Word document. If you are going to perform this process from your mobile, you should learn to create Word documents with your mobile phone first.
- Go to the options menu and click on the “Insert” tab.
- Press the “Shapes” box; in this section you can insert squares, circles and arrows that are very useful when making a concept map.
- Choose the figure you want to use for your concept map and slide the mouse to draw the figure you chose; points will automatically appear that surround the figure, these will allow you to mold the figure to the size you want.
- The moment you choose the figure, the «Format» bar opens. In this box you can change the design of the figure; that is, you can choose the color, width and style of the outline, you can even fill the figure with a color, gradient or an image.
- Place the mouse on the figure and press the right button, a menu will immediately appear where you will choose the option «Add Text». By pressing the right mouse button on the text you can change the style, font, color and size of the letters.
- After having created the first figure, you go back to the «Insert» bar and click on the «Shapes» option. Now you must choose the arrow or line that will serve as a connection between one frame and another.
- You can adjust the arrows or lines to the color, size and thickness you want to give an impeccable style to your map in the «Format» bar (steps similar to point 4 and 5).
- You add the link words that a concept map contains in the “Insert” tab and choose the “Text Box” option, in that box you write the words you want. By right clicking on the words you can change the font, color and size.
- These previous steps must be repeated for each figure, linking word, and connecting line to finish your concept map. Or you can copy and paste the first figure and the connecting arrow to the rest of the map to finish it faster.
Tips for making a concept map in Word
A concept map is used to convey ideas or to learn a topic more easily; that is why you should not take its realization lightly. It is common for people to think that this is the same as making a mind map, but here are some simple suggestions for you to make a quality concept map.
A concept map must have three main elements
- Short concepts or short sentences.
- Links that can be lines or arrows.
- Link words that serve to connect all the graphics.
Recommendations of the content to be developed
- You should avoid putting too much information about the topic; The most recommended is to use main ideas with some secondary elements , in this way it will be easier to understand the information you want to convey.
- Order the information giving priority to the most important information and you should place it at the top of the map and the least important at the bottom.
- The words or phrases that serve as a connection between each idea should be short.
- Each table you use must have a hierarchical level , you should never place all the tables at the same level since you must prioritize the information.
- It is recommended to frame the text with boxes, rectangles, circles and to relate each concept it is advisable to use lines.
With these simple steps and recommendations, you are ready to make or create the best concept map in Word; be encouraged to use this tool to improve your learning or teaching. Also, go ahead and insert and edit images in Word to give your mind maps an extra touch.