When it comes to office work, the Word application takes many merits, as it is a useful tool for writing documents . But it is also true that errors are present when you want to use, as in the case of the error message “Microsoft has stopped working”. But do not be alarmed, since this has a solution and in this article we will teach you in a simple way .
- 1 Why does Microsoft Word stop working?
- 2 How to fix the error »Microsoft Word stopped working?
- 3 How to recover document after Microsoft Word stopped working?
Why does Microsoft Word stop working?
There are several reasons or reasons that cause Word to stop working correctly, including the latest version on Windows. The causes could be those that we will indicate below, of course we are talking about the same program and not about a hardware problem on your PC .
- Windows 10 drivers or operating system components need to be updated.
- There is no compatibility with the operating system.
- The Word you have is very old .
How to fix the error »Microsoft Word stopped working?
As a first suggestion, update Office to its latest version, if you still have the same problem, carefully follow the following recommendations:
Procedure 1 – Repair Word 2003/2007/2010/2013/2016 automatically
- If you are a Windows 10 user, click with the right mouse button on the “Start” window.
- Later a black window with several functions will appear. You will select the one that says “Applications and features”. In Windows 7/8 users, they should open Control Panel> Programs> Uninstall a program.
- This will open the computer configuration window, you will see all the applications that Windows has on the right and select the one that says “Office”.
- Then press the option that says “Advanced Options” which is blue.
- This will take you to a range of actions that you can execute, it will look for the one that says “Reset” and then press “Repair Office application”.
- This will fix the problem that “Microsoft Word stopped working”.
Procedure 2 – Delete the Normal.dot file
- Go to “My Computer” or “This Computer”.
- Then in the search box that is on the right side type the word “Normal.dot” .
- When the computer does the search you will simply delete this file .
How to recover document after Microsoft Word stopped working?
If you are writing or creating a document, and it closes unexpectedly, we understand it, and that is why we will give you the solution. Many consider the document lost, but there is a way to get it back , although “Microsoft Word will stop working” suddenly.
Procedure 1. Retrieve document manually
- Open Word again and go to the window that says “File . “
- This will take you to the Word options on your system, and a window called “Information” will appear.
- Select the box that says “Manage document” and the option that says “Recover files without saving.”
- Later this will open a window where you will indicate the name of the file to recover. And that’s it.
Procedure 2. Use data recovery software.
The option to use file recovery software is a method external to the Word system that you can add to your PC for free. A very useful program is the “Free EaseUS Data Recovery Assistant”, this software allows you to recover up to 2GB of lost data .
Here are the steps you need to take once you download or get the app on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Select the location of the lost Word documents and click “Scanner.”
- The software will do a quick and extensive scan.
- Later you will have a list of the lost files, you will choose the one that could not be saved due to the “Microsoft Word stopped working” error.
- After selecting the document, press the “Recover” option and voila, you managed to have your document again.
As a last tip, keep saving the changes you make in your work, in order to avoid recovering a Word file. Since many times the autosave does not record the changes made in the last minutes in the document when an error occurs.
With the steps indicated in a simple and orderly way, you will be able to solve the Word error problem. At the same time you will get your document back due to Word crash on your PC, we hope you can work quietly.